Welcome to Legal English Spring 2023
- Read about the course.
- Answer the question
- Mark complete by clicking the purple button.
About the Course
The course introduces you to US legal English and American legal culture.
By the end of this course, you will:
- Be better able to explain important aspects of law in English
- Communicate more effectively with American lawyers and law students
- Demonstrate an ability in English to meaningfully compare the American legal system with the legal system with which you are already familiar
- Graded Exams: 70% (there will be a graded midterm and final exam)
- Participation (attendance, timely submission of assignments): 30%
Class Guidelines and Rules
- We will meet live via google meet for some classes. Other classes will be completely self-guided.
- During live classes I prefer if you turn your camera on so I can engage with you. If you turn off your camera I will turn off mine which will make listening more difficult but I feel weird when my camera is on and students’ cameras are off.
- Do not use AI to submit any assignments.
- Do not use translation software.
- Do not copy and paste any information. Copying and pasting information will not help you learn English and will not earn you any points for the assignment.
- Speak English during our class time, whether in breakout rooms or not.